Climate Change Doesn't Go Away At Christmastime

Are you there, internet? It’s me, Demery!

What’s it been…40…50 years? I can understand why you didn’t recognize me. I cut off a chunk of my hair, so maybe it’s that. I got a new job, and then quickly moved to another new job, so maybe my business casual vibe threw ya off. Maybe it’s just the “employed” look in general. Do I seem more sophisticated and less desperate than my grunge, begging-for-a-job style of early 2019? I can tell ya I certainly don’t always feel more sophisticated.

Well, internet it is good as heck to see ya. Sorry for the morbid blog title but I wanted to chat with you about a few important things, excluding Justin Timberlake this time (sorry). In no particular order of importance, those things are: Christmas, Christmas shopping, avoiding capitalistic/unsustainable tendencies while also buying some sick gifts for those loved ones (or obligatory ones) on your list, and taking another shot at pitching my personal Christmas playlist. 

Charlie gets it.

I won't bore you with the origin story of my passion for sustainability and being environmentally friendly, but I can tell you that it probably stems from my mom being an avid re-user of many household items. S/o Sarah G. I’ve picked up some practices from her and have taken up a passion for choosing to protect the environment in many aspects of how I live. However, the origin story of my "realizing how hard it is to create an intentional and all-encompassing lifestyle of sustainability" began when I started shopping for my own apartment. It has been an emotional and sustainable roller coaster to be very un-dramatic with you all. I had dreams of mixing up all-purpose cleaners out of natural products, never buying plastic bottles of shampoo, and never even breathing in the direction of a single-use plastic. But the reality is that the research is time-consuming, the sustainable new products are expensive, the cheap 2nd hand products are always broken or stained, and I usually end up at Target or opening packages from Wayfair anyway. So I’m here to offer some sort of lesson on living a completely waste-free, sustainable life with a negative carbon footprint, but the lesson is that I don’t know what I’m doing but I’m trying my best. And I think that you can too! Oh! There it is. Simple encouragement in place of advice. That’s a good go-to in times of ignorance. 

So I've gathered you here because, along this roller coaster, I’ve learned new things that I want to share! I am shaping this blog post in such a way that these discoveries could help you shop for some #sustainable gifts and do that shopping and wrapping in an eco-friendly way as well. These products and ideas are tested by yours truly, and one of them is a personal plug for a website I helped design for a great product and even greater product creator!


The Gifts:


1. Let’s just get it out of the way because I’m so excited! Based out of Ypsilanti, MI, Bee Sweet is a rad local business started by a rad woman. Zoe makes reusable food wrap out of upcycled materials and bees wax. It’s way better than dealing with plastic wrap that always folds into itself!




It comes in 2 ways: A set of 3 different sized wraps, or a large wrap (big enough for a loaf of bread!!) Take a look at the website I designed and get to ordering so you can wrap those Christmas cookies right up!! 

2. Reusable straws. While ditching the straws isn’t going to save the planet tomorrow, it’s a great way to contribute, and a good conversation starter.  I’ve got two great options for you. A metal straw that collapses into a nice travel size, or a bamboo straw that comes in a pack of two. They both come with a cleaner and a small carrying case. Huge moves when the smoothie place hands you a plastic straw and you shove it right back in their faces!!


3. Cool clothes for cool causes. While you’re looking at those bamboo straws, take a look around the Wholesome Culture website. Is an awesome company that also sells great clothes. Lots of quality t-shirts and sweatshirts that your eco-friendly pal would love, AND part of their profits go to animal rescue and environmental organizations. The sayings on their clothes are not even overly-cutesy, so they’ve got 5 stars from me because I can’t stand cutesy sayings on sweatshirts. #CoolChillGirlsOnly #IWokeUpLikeThis #ButFirstCoffee #VeganVibes

 


4. Plants! It's the new hip house warming gift and a great way to bring some life to some cold, dark winter days. Please, please, if this is your choice, don't get them from some chain store or something. I don't know much about the politics of plants, but I do know that plenty of V nice, V cute plants are sold at Farmer's Markets on the reg! Get some locally grown aloe, succulents, or herbs to use in your cooking! Small plants are a great way to train that green thumb to become a whole green hand!!!



5. Experiences! Tickets to concerts, sporting events, or theater performances. Cooking lessons, art classes, yoga classes, a voyage around the world!! If it's something you can do together, even better! Nothing to be wrapped and life experience gained. Win win! Check cute boy below reaping the benefits of a cooking class gifted to me!



6. Used items. It's not tacky to gift something that's already been used! I know a lot of stores that sell collectibles, old books, jewelry and other antique home goods, and a lot of people that would love to receive those as gifts. Don't knock it til ya try it, Emily.  




The Wrapping

- If you don’t already reuse gift bags and less-than-horribly damaged wrapping paper, start this Christmas! You’ll save money, and those bags can get used for years. I still give gifts in bags that have my 8-year-old handwriting on them! (Take that last part with a grain of salt because I still have the same handwriting as an 8 years old)

-Use paper grocery bags. I started this as a tradition for myself last year and it was actually fun! I saved every paper bag I got when I bought groceries, and was able to cut them to any size, and then decorate the outside however I wanted. People always knew the gift was from me, and we could recycle or reuse the paper in another safe way, like lighting the Christmas morning fire.


-Reusable goods. Wrap gifts in something the recipient can use again. Think mason jars, a large coffee mug, a serving platter, a scarf, a map etc. Get creative and make an effort to cut out at least one gift wrap purchase this year! 

Keep in Mind

Plan your trips. Don't make a drive to the mall just to pick up the sweater your sister wants. Make a list of other stores in the mall that have other items on your list, and hit them all at once. Or combine it with other errands that you're running on your way home from work. 

Get ahead of the game. Opt for slower shipping to reduce your carbon footprint, or choose to pick up in-store. It may take more time and effort, but it's making a bit of a difference in the shipping frenzy. Get outta here Amazon Prime. Call me when you've got solar-powered trucks. 

Go local! You wouldn't believe what your neighbors are cookin' up, metaphorically and literally speaking. Take a stroll down Main St. (or your downtown equivalent) and pop into shops to see what the little guys are doing and support those small businesses! 


It's a lot. But it's important. I wouldn't have written this crazy long blog post if it wasn't. Maybe just pick a few ideas above and keep them in the back of your mind as you scramble to get those last minute gifts. I've still got people on my list. You still have people on your list. It's ok. Just think of "the environment" as one little extra person on your list and give it the gift of some TLC. Let me know if you've got some eco-friendly holiday practices that you want to share! Happy holidays, folks, and don't forget about that perfectly curated Christmas Music playlist. Nat King Cole has a voice that sounds like home and it's time you just let him serenade you into believing that you, too, smell chestnuts roasting by the open fire. 

All my best and then some,
Dem

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Got Sh*t on by a Bird Today (and other reasons I'm in bed by 8pm)

I Need You To Come To the Farmer’s Market With Me